Discover your talent by getting hands-on and trying different skills
Get Skilled Stands
Dedicated Get Skilled stands offer in-depth knowledge about certain industries. You can discover new talents and try loads of different skills when you get hands-on with a Get Skilled activity. Experts are always on hand to help as you learn something new and try work-based skills; the aim is to ensure each Get Skilled stand represents a different career sector so we promote as wide a range as possible to you, the visitors.
Get Skilled in Construction – 1
Presented by Stewart Milne Group
Try building a wall, plumbing a tap and wiring a light bulb/doorbell with the Stewart Milne group and get a real taste of what a career in construction could offer you.
Get Skilled in Automotive – 2
Presented by LAGTA part of Bosch
Experience augmented reality and discover the future of diagnostic abilities. Get involved with looking and searching for technical data on any type of car or try and identify engine and transmission components to get a good idea of what a career in automotive might involve.
Get Skilled with City of Glasgow College – 3
Explore the benefits of exercise and have a go on a variety of fitness equipment. Find out about the range of hairdressing and makeup techniques and technology used in the industry.
Get Skilled in Public Services – 4
Presented by NHSScotland
Test out your skills as a Medical Lab Technician by using microscopes and diagnostic slides. Have a go at blood pressure monitoring, learn about catheters and genetics using fluorescent flies.
This will offer a full programme of exhibitor led seminars promoting apprenticeship options for students. Sessions will have a limited number of spaces and booked groups will be given priority to attend.
Wednesday 24 October – timetable
|TIME SLOT||COMPANY NAME||SESSION TITLE|
|09:45 – 09:55||Scottish National Party Politician||Welcome address by Jamie Hepburn, MSP|
|10:00 – 10:20||SDS||Foundation Apprenticeship – Opening Pupils Doors To The Future|
|10:45 – 11:05||Opito||Find out more about The Oil and Gas Technical Apprentice Programme (OGTAP)|
|12:15 – 12:35||Deputy First Minister John Swinney||Q & A session with John Swinney MSP – Deputy First Minister & Cabinet Secretary for Education and Skills|
|13:00 – 13:20||BAE Systems||Where It Counts|
|13:45 – 14:05||SDS||Foundation Apprenticeship – Opening Pupils Doors To The Future|
|17:00 – 17:20||SDS||Foundation Apprenticeship – Opening Pupils Doors To The Future|
Thursday 25 October – timetable coming soon
Live News Board
The Live News Board aims to provide you with the chance to find out about current vacancies available in your region including, job vacancies, volunteer opportunities, traineeships, apprenticeship schemes and any other opportunities. The exhibitors post these vacancies on the Live News Board at the event for you to view. Ensure you take a look so that if any interest you, you have the chance to speak to the organisation face-to-face at the event and find out all you can about the role. This is a great way to get ahead of the competition, so don’t forget to take a look!
Activities on Stands
- Check out a real life army vehicle courtesy of the British Army.
- Take a look inside an ambulance and find out what it takes to be a paramedic with the Scottish Ambulance Service.
- Get a close up look at a police motorcycle with Police Scotland.
- Test your steady hand by having a go at the buzzwire game with Scotland’s Rural College.
- Get creative with SAE Institute and discover their range of recording equipment and how it is used.
- Try your hand at building and experience virtual reality in a construction setting with the Federation of Master Builders.
- Take part in the lollipop stick tower challenge by OPITO. Compete with your friends to see who can build the tallest tower!
- Take part in TV filming with media students from Glasgow Clyde College, or find out what fashion students get up to, from building a strong portfolio to creating complete garments.